To make crispy fried pie dough, mix flour, sugar, salt and cut in shortening or butter until crumbly, then add water, knead lightly and refrigerate. To cook, roll out dough, cut into desired shapes, and fry in hot oil until golden brown.
Crispy fried pie dough is a popular pastry that can be filled with a variety of sweet or savory ingredients. This delicious snack is a staple in many cultures and can be found in different forms around the world. Whether it’s empanadas, samosas, or turnovers, crispy fried pie dough is a versatile pastry that can be enjoyed anytime, anywhere. Making the dough from scratch allows for customization of the texture and taste, and frying it to a golden crisp enhances the flavor and creates a perfect crunch. In this article, we will guide you through the steps of making crispy fried pie dough that will be sure to satisfy your cravings.
Ingredients To Make Crispy Fried Pie Dough
Crispy fried pie dough recipe is a delicious treat that can be enjoyed any time of the day. It is a simple recipe that can be made using ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ½ cup of vegetable shortening
- ½ cup of milk
To make the crispy fried pie dough, you need to mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Cut the shortening into small pieces and add it to the dry mixture. Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to mix the shortening and dry ingredients until it forms pea-sized crumbles.
Add milk and mix the dough until it forms a ball.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Once chilled, take the dough out and divide it into four equal parts. Roll out each part on a floured surface until it is 1/8 inch thick.
Cut the dough into circles or any shape you prefer.
Heat vegetable oil in a deep pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, drop the circles into the oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the dough to ensure both sides are crispy and golden brown.
Serve the crispy fried pie dough immediately with your favorite filling or toppings. Enjoy the delicious and crispy treat that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Instructions To Make Crispy Fried Pie Dough
Making your own crispy fried pies using fresh, homemade pie dough is a delightful way to enjoy a comfort food classic. Whether it’s a savory meat pie or a sweet dessert, this crispy fried dough recipe will step up your cooking game.
In this article, we’ll show you how to make the perfect pie dough and guide you through the process of frying them into golden perfection.
Mixing The Dough
The secret to making crispy fried pies lies in the dough, so getting the right texture is crucial. The dough must be firm and pliable enough to roll out, yet not too tough that it won’t fry up crispy.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add in butter or shortening and use a pastry cutter to blend until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Mix in ice water gradually, and knead the dough until it comes together.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out.
Rolling The Dough
Rolling out the dough precisely is essential to achieving the perfect texture. The dough should be evenly rolled, not too thick or too thin, to ensure that it fries evenly.
- Preheat your oven to 375°f.
- On a floured surface, roll out the chilled dough to a 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut out the dough into circles or squares, depending on your preference.
- Re-roll the scraps and repeat the process until all the dough is used up.
Cutting And Shaping The Dough
Once you have the dough cut and shaped, it’s time to prepare the fillings. For savory pies, fill them with cooked meat, vegetables, or cheese, while sweet pies are perfect for fruit or cream fillings.
- Brush the edges of the dough circles or squares with beaten egg.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of filling to the center of the dough.
- Fold the dough over and press the edges together to seal the pie.
Filling The Pie With Tasty Ingredients
The filling for the pie is essential in achieving a flavorful and satisfying fried pie. Make sure to use high-quality ingredients and season them well according to your preference.
- For savory pies, prepare your fillings first by cooking your meat or vegetables ahead.
- For sweet pies, prepare the fruit fillings by mixing your fruit with sugar and spices.
- Spoon the filling onto the dough, and make sure not to overfill to avoid leakage.
Tips For Frying The Pie
Frying the pie is the last but most crucial step in producing a crispy crust and a satisfying filling.
- Use a deep, heavy-bottomed frying pan.
- Heat oil to 375°f before adding the pies to fry.
- Fry the pies until they turn golden brown, about 2-4 minutes on each side.
- Drain excess oil on a paper towel before serving.
Get creative with your pastry fillings, and enjoy a delightful pie made from scratch anytime, anywhere. With these simple and easy-to-follow instructions, you’ll make the perfect crispy fried pie dough every time!
HOW TO MAKE THE TASTIEST CRUNCHY FRIED PIES
Variations Of Crispy Fried Pie Dough
Crispy fried pie dough is a popular snack and appetizer enjoyed all over the world. The crispy texture and rich flavor make it a go-to for any occasion. The best part about this dish is its versatility, allowing for delicious variations of both sweet and savory pies.
Here, we’ve compiled a list of different variations of crispy fried pie dough to inspire your tastebuds.
Looking for a dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth?
- Apple pie: tasty apple filling mixed with cinnamon and sugar, encased in crispy fried dough
- Blueberry pie: blueberry filling with a hint of lemon zest, wrapped in crispy fried goodness
- Cherry pie: sweet cherry filling with almond extract, fried to a golden crisp texture
- Peach pie: a delicious blend of fresh peaches and warm spices wrapped in crispy fried dough
If you prefer a savory dish, then crispy fried pie dough has got you covered as well.
- Beef and mushroom pie: rich beef and mushroom filling, seasoned with herbs and spices then encased in crispy fried dough
- Chicken and vegetable pie: tender chicken pieces, fresh vegetables, and a creamy sauce wrapped in crispy fried dough
- Spinach and feta pie: a popular vegetarian option, filled with spinach, crumbled feta, and onions, fried to a perfect crunch texture
Different regions have their unique take on the crispy fried pie, and here are a few notable variations:
- Empanadas: popular in latin america and spain, empanadas are filled with various ingredients like beef, chicken, vegetables, and cheese.
- Samosas: originating from india, samosas are filled with spiced potatoes, chickpeas, or meat.
- Jiaozi: commonly found in china, jiaozi is made of ground meat, vegetables, and herbs wrapped in crispy fried dough.
Crispy fried pie dough is an excellent dish for both sweet and savory flavors, with endless variations to choose from. Whether you’re in the mood for something sweet or savory, or looking to try something new from a different region, there is always a crispy fried pie variation for you.
Serving And Storing The Crispy Fried Pie Dough
Crispy fried pie dough is a delicious and versatile treat that can be served in a variety of ways. Whether it’s for breakfast, snack time, or dessert, this recipe is bound to satisfy even the most discerning of palates. When it comes to serving and storing this delectable dish, here are some handy tips to keep in mind.
- Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the fried pie dough for a delicious and decadent dessert.
- Top with fresh fruit, such as sliced strawberries or blueberries, for a healthy and refreshing snack.
- Drizzle some warm chocolate or caramel sauce over the fried pie dough for an extra indulgent treat.
- Serve with a cup of hot coffee or tea on a crisp autumn afternoon.
Best Topping Combinations
- Nutella and banana slices
- Cinnamon sugar and whipped cream
- Apple pie filling and vanilla ice cream
- Lemon curd and fresh raspberries
When it comes to toppings, the possibilities are endless! Experiment with different flavors and textures to find your favorite combo.
Storing The Fried Pies
To keep your crispy fried pie dough fresh and delicious, follow these simple steps:
- Allow the pies to cool completely before storing.
- Store in an airtight container or zip-top bag at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- For longer storage, freeze the pies in a single layer in an airtight container or zip-top bag for up to 2 months.
- To reheat, preheat your oven to 350°f (175°c). Place the frozen pies on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until heated through and crispy.
Now that you know how to serve and store your crispy fried pie dough, it’s time to get creative in the kitchen! Whether you opt for a classic apple filling or something more adventurous, this recipe is sure to impress.
Frequently Asked Questions Of Crispy Fried Pie Dough Recipe
1. What Is Crispy Fried Pie Dough?
Crispy fried pie dough is a type of pastry made from flour, water, salt, and oil, that is deep-fried until crispy and golden brown.
2. How Do You Make Crispy Fried Pie Dough?
To make crispy fried pie dough, mix flour, water, salt, and oil to form dough. Roll out the dough and cut into small circles. Deep-fry the circles in hot oil until they are golden brown and crispy.
3. What Can I Use Crispy Fried Pie Dough For?
You can use crispy fried pie dough for a variety of sweet and savory dishes. Some popular uses include pies, turnovers, empanadas, samosas, and even as a topping for soups and stews.
4. Is Crispy Fried Pie Dough Bad For Your Health?
Like all fried foods, crispy fried pie dough is not the healthiest option and should be consumed in moderation. However, you can make it healthier by using healthier oils and incorporating whole grains into the dough.
The crispy fried pie dough recipe is a delightful treat that can easily be made at home. By following these simple steps and adding some creativity to the mix, you can make this dessert an even more memorable experience. You can add your favorite flavorings, from cinnamon to cocoa, to the dough, or fill the pie with anything that appeals to your taste buds.
Remember to be patient when frying – never overcrowd the pan to ensure a perfect texture every time. And with the minimal prep time required, this recipe is perfect for impressing guests or indulging in a quick sweet treat. So go ahead, whip up a batch of these mouth-watering crispy fried pie doughs, and enjoy the delicious results!