Fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic is a delicious and easy-to-make dish with a satisfying combination of flavors. If you’re looking for a simple and tasty side dish to complement your main course, fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic might be just what you need.
This dish is easy to prepare and requires only a few ingredients. The combination of smoky bacon, sweet onion, and garlicky cabbage creates a savory and satisfying flavor that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re planning a family dinner or a potluck with friends, fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic is sure to please even the pickiest eaters. Plus, as an added bonus, it’s a low-carb and keto-friendly dish that won’t break the bank.
Ingredients And Preparation
Who could resist the comfort of hot and crispy fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic? Tender and flavourful cabbage, diced bacon slices sautéed to perfection, and the sharp taste of garlic and onions, all marry together to make a dish that’s almost impossible not to enjoy.
If you’re looking to impress your family or guests with a quick and easy dish, you can bet that this classic american recipe and its perfect blend of ingredients will hit the spot! So, let’s dive in and see what you’ll need to prepare and cook this mouth-watering dish!
List Of Ingredients
Here’s a quick list of ingredients that you’ll need to make this flavourful dish:
- 1 head of cabbage
- 4 sliced bacon
- 1 minced onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparing The Cabbage
When it comes to preparing cabbage, there are a variety of techniques you can choose from, such as boiling or roasting. For this recipe, we’re suggesting that you fry your cabbage to perfection.
- Start by washing and chopping the cabbage into four portions, removing any wilted or rotten leaves. Cut the core from each quarter, and then slice the cabbage half-inch thick.
- Next, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the chopped cabbage once it’s hot. Cook the cabbage, stirring occasionally, until it begins to wilt and soften.
- To add flavour to the dish, season the cabbage with salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking until the cabbage is light golden brown and has a crispy texture.
Preparing The Bacon, Onion, And Garlic
The cabbage is just half of the equation; the other half is the bacon, onion, and garlic.
- Begin by heating a separate skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced bacon, and cook until crispy and golden brown.
- Once done, remove the bacon slices using a slotted spoon and set them aside on a plate with a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- In the same skillet, add a minced onion and two cloves of minced garlic to the bacon fat and cook until the onion becomes transparent and the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Finally, combine the cooked cabbage with the cooked bacon, garlic, and onion mixture. Gently mix them together until well blended.
This recipe provides a delicious and simple dish that’s perfect for a quick and easy dinner or even as a side dish. The combination of flavours from the cabbage, bacon, onion, and garlic is sure to please everyone at the table.
Just keep in mind to follow these simple steps to make an amazing fried cabbage with bacon, onion and garlic dish!
Fried cabbage with bacon onion and garlic is a classic dish that has been enjoyed by people around the world for generations. It’s a simple recipe that only requires a handful of ingredients, but its flavors are complex and satisfying.
Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight meal or something to serve at a dinner party, this recipe is sure to delight your guests. Here are the directions for cooking this delectable dish, divided into three sections.
Steps For Cooking The Bacon Onion And Garlic Before Adding The Cabbage
Before you start cooking the cabbage, make sure you have cooked the bacon, onion, and garlic.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- In the same skillet with bacon fat, sauté onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for another minute until fragrant, making sure not to burn the garlic.
- Remove from the pan and drain any excess fat.
Adding Cabbage And Cooking To Perfection
Now that you’ve cooked the bacon, onions, and garlic, it’s time to add the cabbage.
- Add one head of chopped cabbage to the same skillet you used to cook the bacon, onion, and garlic.
- Sauté the cabbage until it has wilted down and is starting to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt, pepper, and any other desired spices, such as paprika or cumin.
- Continue cooking until the cabbage is cooked through and has a nice caramelized color.
Directions For Serving
Now that your fried cabbage with bacon onion and garlic is done, it’s time to serve it up!
- Serve as a main dish or side dish depending on your preference.
- Garnish with chopped green onions or fresh parsley for an added burst of flavor.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Fried cabbage with bacon onion and garlic is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for any occasion. By following these simple steps, you can create a dish that is sure to please your taste buds and impress your guests.
Whether you’re sharing with friends or enjoying a cozy night in, this recipe is sure to become one of your go-to favorites. Try it out today!
How to Make Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onion and Garlic | Bacon Recipes | Allrecipes.com
Tips For Enhancing Fried Cabbage With Bacon Onion And Garlic
Fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that can satisfy even the pickiest eaters. It’s a perfect mix of crunchy cabbage, savory bacon, and fragrant onion, topped with the rich and garlicky flavor that everyone loves.
If you’re looking for tips on how to enhance this simple yet flavorful dish, keep reading!
Seasonings To Try:
- Smoked paprika – adds a smoky and slightly sweet flavor to the dish
- Red pepper flakes – gives the dish a kick of heat and adds extra flavor
- Italian seasoning – a mix of dried herbs that can complement the flavors in the dish
- Soy sauce – a flavorful way to add saltiness to the dish
- Apple cider vinegar – adds tanginess and balances the dish’s richness
- Hot sauce – another way to add heat and flavor to the dish
Ways To Change Up The Recipe:
- Incorporate other vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, or mushrooms to add extra flavor and nutrition.
- Try different types of sausage instead of bacon for a different flavor.
- Use different types of cabbage, like red cabbage or savoy cabbage, to give the dish a different taste and color.
- Add a splash of white juice or beer to deglaze the pan and create a flavorful sauce.
- Experiment with different cooking methods, such as grilling or roasting the cabbage instead of frying it.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to enhancing fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic. These few tips and tricks can help you take your dish to the next level and impress your family and friends. Try different seasonings and ingredients, and don’t be afraid to get creative with your cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Turkey Bacon Instead Of Pork Bacon?
If you’re not a fan of pork bacon, you can try turkey bacon for this fried cabbage recipe.
- Turkey bacon takes less time to cook than pork bacon, so adjust your cooking time accordingly.
- Turkey bacon can also be less flavorful than pork bacon, so you may want to add a little bit of extra seasoning to your dish.
Can I Substitute Red Cabbage For White Cabbage?
Yes, you can substitute red cabbage for white cabbage in this recipe. However, keep in mind that the texture and taste of red cabbage can be slightly different than white cabbage.
- Red cabbage is slightly tougher than white cabbage, so you may need to cook it a little longer to get it to the desired texture.
- Red cabbage also has a slightly different flavor profile than white cabbage, so your dish may taste a little different than the original recipe. If you’re not sure how you feel about the taste of red cabbage, you could try using half red cabbage and half white cabbage in your dish.
Overall, this fried cabbage recipe is very versatile and can be customized to suit your preferences. Feel free to experiment with different types of bacon and cabbage to find your favorite combination!
Benefits Of Eating Fried Cabbage With Bacon Onion And Garlic
Fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic is a simple yet flavorful dish that’s perfect for any occasion. Not only is it a crowd-pleaser, but it’s also packed with numerous health benefits. In this section, let’s take a look at the nutritional value of its ingredients and the many benefits it offers for our health.
Nutritional Value Of Ingredients
- Cabbage: a low-calorie vegetable that’s high in fiber and loaded with vitamins and minerals, including vitamins c, k, and b6, as well as calcium and potassium.
- Bacon: while it’s high in fat and sodium, bacon contains protein and b vitamins.
- Onion: low in calories and carbohydrates, onions are rich in vitamin c, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Garlic: a powerful antioxidant that’s been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. Garlic also contains a compound called allicin, which is believed to have medicinal properties.
Health Benefits Of Eating
- High in fiber: fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic contains a lot of fiber, which helps keep us full and promotes healthy digestion.
- Rich in antioxidants: onions and garlic both contain antioxidants that help protect our cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- May lower cholesterol: cabbage is rich in compounds known as phytosterols, which have been shown to help lower cholesterol levels.
- May reduce the risk of cancer: studies have found that consuming cabbage and its related vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower, may help lower the risk of certain types of cancer.
- Promotes weight loss: because it’s low in calories but high in fiber, fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic can be a great addition to any weight loss diet.
Fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic is a tasty and nutritious dish that offers numerous health benefits, from improving digestion to lowering cholesterol levels. Incorporating this flavorful dish into your diet can be an easy and delicious way to boost your overall health and wellness.
Fried cabbage with bacon onion and garlic is a delightful dish that’s easy to cook and perfect for anyone who wants to try something new. This recipe is not only tasty but also filling, making it ideal for a quick lunch or dinner.
Once you try it, you’ll definitely want to serve it with other mouth-watering dishes. So, here are some suggestions on how you can serve this dish to make it even more fulfilling.
Best Dishes To Pair It With
- Grilled chicken: a perfect combination that adds protein to the dish.
- Mashed potatoes: for a full meal, pair it with mashed potatoes, and you will have a satisfying meal.
- Steamed rice: the cabbage pairs well with steamed rice, which enhances its flavour.
- Grilled salmon: another protein-rich side dish that complements fried cabbage with bacon onion and garlic perfectly.
- Cornbread: an excellent choice if you want to have a southern-style meal.
Perfect Serving Portion
Here’s a guide on how to make fried cabbage with bacon onion and garlic’s perfect serving portion:
- For a family of four, use four cups of chopped cabbage.
- 1/2 pound of bacon should be used.
- One large onion will suffice.
- Two cloves of garlic are enough.
This quantity guarantees that everyone gets a fair share of this delicious dish, and you do not end up with leftovers or waste food.
Fried cabbage with bacon onion and garlic is versatile and can be served for lunch, dinner, or brunch, making it an ideal go-to recipe for busy days. This dish’s pairing suggestions are bound to make it all the more enjoyable for you and your family.
Try them out, and you will be pleased with the results!
Storing And Reheating Fried Cabbage With Bacon Onion And Garlic
Fried cabbage with bacon, onion and garlic is a perfect side dish for any meal. It’s easy to make, packed with flavor, and can be stored for later consumption. In this section, we will look at how to store cooked cabbage and how to safely reheat this dish.
The Right Way To Store Cooked Cabbage
Proper storage is essential to maintain the texture and flavor of the fried cabbage dish.
- Let the fried cabbage cool down to room temperature before storing it.
- Transfer the dish into an airtight container.
- Place the container in the fridge and consume within 3-4 days.
How To Safely Reheat This Dish
Reheating the fried cabbage dish is easy, but it’s important to do it properly to avoid food poisoning.
- Take the fried cabbage dish out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
- Transfer the desired amount of cabbage in a microwave-safe dish with a lid or a covered saucepan.
- Reheat the dish on medium heat in the microwave or on the stovetop until it’s hot.
- Stir the cabbage occasionally to distribute the heat evenly.
- Check the temperature of the cabbage with a food thermometer, and make sure it’s at 165°f or higher before consuming.
Storing and reheating fried cabbage with bacon, onion and garlic is easy. Proper storage and reheating will ensure that the dish maintains its flavor and texture while also making it safe to consume. Remember to follow our tips for better results.
Frequently Asked Questions Of Fried Cabbage With Bacon Onion And Garlic 3
What Are The Ingredients Needed For Fried Cabbage With Bacon, Onion And Garlic?
To cook fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic, you will need the following ingredients: chopped bacon, sliced onion, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, butter, and of course, sliced cabbage.
How To Prepare Fried Cabbage With Bacon, Onion, And Garlic?
Preparing fried cabbage with bacon, onion, and garlic can be done in a few simple steps. First, cook the chopped bacon until it’s crispy. Next, add the sliced onion and minced garlic to the pan and stir it together. Finally, add the sliced cabbage to the pan and season it with salt and black pepper.
Cook the cabbage until it’s tender.
What Are The Benefits Of Eating Cabbage?
Cabbage is a low-calorie vegetable that’s also rich in vitamins and minerals. It’s a good source of vitamin c, vitamin k, and vitamin b6. Cabbage also contains fiber, which makes it an excellent addition to any diet. Eating cabbage can help boost your immune system, improve digestion, and even lower your risk of certain types of cancer.
How Can I Add A Twist To My Fried Cabbage?
If you’re looking to add a little twist to your fried cabbage recipe, there are a few things you can try. One option is to add a splash of apple cider vinegar to the dish. This will give the cabbage a slightly sweet and tangy flavor.
Another option is to sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top of the cabbage before serving. This will add a little kick of heat to the dish.
After exploring the recipe for fried cabbage with bacon onion and garlic 3, it’s clear that this dish has something unique to offer. With just a few ingredients, this recipe conjures up a surprisingly delicious and filling meal that is perfect for both vegetarians and meat lovers alike.
The combination of smoky bacon, caramelized onions, and aromatic garlic make for a flavor-packed dish that will make your taste buds sing. Additionally, cabbage is a nutrient-dense vegetable that provides an array of vitamins and minerals, making this dish both tasty and healthy.
This recipe is quick and easy to make, making it perfect for busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to prepare dinner. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a beginner cook, fried cabbage with bacon onion and garlic 3 is a must-try dish that is sure to impress!