This easy crustless tomato pie recipe is a delicious and hassle-free alternative to the classic tomato pie. Made with fresh tomatoes, herbs, cheese, and mayonnaise, it is a tasty and low-carb option for a summer lunch or dinner.
Tomatoes are a quintessential summer fruit, and there are many ways to enjoy them. One of the simplest ways is to make a tomato pie, a dish that combines fresh tomatoes, cheese, and herbs in a savory and satisfying pie. However, making a traditional tomato pie can be time-consuming, involving making a crust, sweating the tomatoes, and baking the pie for a long time. If you want a quick and easy alternative that still captures the essence of a tomato pie, you might want to try this easy crustless tomato pie recipe. Made without a crust, this pie is a low-carb option that takes very little time to prepare and bake, making it perfect for a summer lunch or dinner.
Are you looking for a delicious and easy to make recipe for the summer? Then this crustless tomato pie is the perfect dish for you! The combination of fresh tomatoes, eggs, cheese, and herbs is simply mouthwatering. Keep on reading to discover the ingredients and their roles in this amazing dish, along with some possible substitutions.
List Of Ingredients
- 6 medium-sized tomatoes (preferably roma or san marzano)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of grated cheese (such as parmesan or cheddar)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Ingredients And Their Roles
Tomatoes are the star ingredient in this recipe, providing the sweet, juicy, and slightly tangy flavor that makes this dish so appealing. They are also a great source of vitamins c and a, as well as antioxidants.
Eggs play a key role in binding all the ingredients together, giving the dish its structure and texture. They also add a rich and creamy flavor to the recipe.
Cheese is used to provide a salty and umami flavor to the tomato pie. It also adds a gooey and stretchy texture that complements the fresh tomatoes perfectly. Cheese is a great source of protein and calcium.
Olive Oil And Butter
Olive oil and butter are used to grease the baking dish and prevent the tomato pie from sticking. They also add a rich and decadent flavor to the recipe.
Basil And Thyme
Fresh herbs such as basil and thyme are used to add a bright and fragrant aroma to the dish. They also provide a slightly peppery and slightly sweet flavor that balances out the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Instead of roma or san marzano tomatoes, you can use any other variety of fresh tomatoes.
- Instead of parmesan or cheddar cheese, you can use any other type of melting cheese, such as mozzarella or gouda.
- Instead of fresh basil and thyme, you can use dried herbs or any other fresh herbs that you prefer.
- Instead of olive oil and butter, you can use any other type of cooking oil or butter substitute.
Easy crustless tomato pie is the perfect meal for busy nights when you want to whip up a savory, comforting dish without spending hours in the kitchen. This recipe is easy to make and customizable, allowing you to add your own unique twist to suit your taste buds.
In this section, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to make the easy crustless tomato pie, how long it takes to prepare and cook, and tips for customization.
To make this delicious tomato pie, follow these instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 375°f and spray a 9-inch pie dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice 4-6 ripe tomatoes and arrange them in the pie dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese, and 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil.
- Spread the cheese and basil mixture over the tomatoes in the pie dish.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, and 2 beaten eggs until well combined.
- Pour the milk mixture over the cheese and tomato mixture in the pie dish.
- Bake the pie for 30-40 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the top is golden brown.
Preparation And Cooking Time
The easy crustless tomato pie takes approximately 20 minutes to prepare and 30-40 minutes to cook, making it an ideal dish for busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.
Here are a few tips for customizing your easy crustless tomato pie:
- For a more decadent version of the pie, try adding some crumbled bacon or sausage to the mix.
- If you want to make the pie more substantial, try adding some freshly cooked pasta to the tomato layer before adding the cheese.
- For a different flavor profile, try adding different herbs or spices, such as garlic powder or oregano, to the cheese and basil mixture.
- For extra-cheesy goodness, add some shredded cheddar or provolone cheese to the mixture.
- Top the pie with your favorite toppings, such as chopped cherry tomatoes or sliced olives, to make it even more delicious.
By following these tips, you can create a delicious and unique version of the easy crustless tomato pie that is perfect for your taste buds.
Crustless Tomato Pie Recipe
This easy crustless tomato pie is not only delicious but also nutritious. Its ingredients offer numerous health benefits that make it an ideal meal for those who want to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Low-carb: this tomato pie is low in carbohydrates, which makes it perfect for those trying to reduce their carb intake. Low-carb diets have been known to promote weight loss and improve blood sugar levels.
- High in protein: this dish is high in protein, which is essential for building and repairing body tissues. Protein also keeps you full for longer periods, reducing the chances of overeating.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: the tomato in this dish is rich in vitamins c and k, potassium, and folate. These nutrients are essential for maintaining healthy bones, skin, and blood vessels.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: tomatoes contain lycopene, a pigment that gives them their red color. Lycopene is known to have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
Incorporating this tomato pie into your diet can have several health benefits.
- “the benefits of a low-carb diet” by healthline
- “cooking with tomatoes: health benefits, precautions, and recipes” by medical news today.
Are you tired of making the same old tomato dishes but still crave that healthy, tangy taste of fresh tomatoes? Look no further than this easy crustless tomato pie! This dish is perfect for a light lunch or even an appetizer for a party.
But what about serving suggestions, storage tips, and meal prep ideas? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
- Pair with a fresh mixed green salad for a healthy lunch or light dinner.
- Serve as an appetizer by cutting the pie into bite-size pieces.
- Top with fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme for an extra pop of flavor.
- Add a dollop of sour cream or whipped feta on top for a tangy twist.
Storage And Reheating Tips
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
- Reheat small portions in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Alternatively, place larger portions in the oven at 350°f for 10-15 minutes until heated through.
Meal Prep Ideas
- Make a double batch of the pie and freeze it for up to three months for future use.
- Cut the pie into individual servings and store them in separate containers for quick and easy meals.
- Add different vegetables such as bell peppers or zucchini to the pie for variety.
- Use mini muffin tins to make individual crustless tomato pies that are perfect for a quick breakfast on the go.
This easy crustless tomato pie is perfect for those who enjoy a light, healthy dish with the versatility to be served in numerous ways. No matter how you serve it, storing it, or meal prepping it, this dish is sure to satisfy your cravings for fresh tomatoes.
Frequently Asked Questions Of Easy Crustless Tomato Pie
Overall, this easy crustless tomato pie is a tasty and nutritious dish that you can easily make at home. It’s a great way to use up fresh ingredients and enjoy the flavors of summer. Whether you’re looking for a main course for lunch or dinner, or a side dish for a backyard barbecue, this recipe is sure to please.
With its simple ingredients, quick preparation time and delicious taste, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t give it a try. So, next time you’re in the mood for something different, why not whip up a crustless tomato pie? Your taste buds will be thanking you for it, and you’ll feel good knowing that you’ve made a healthy choice.
Give it a try and enjoy!