Chicken and dressing casserole is a classic southern dish that combines cooked chicken, stuffing, and cream of chicken soup. This hearty and comforting casserole is perfect for a weeknight dinner or a holiday gathering.
Chicken and dressing casserole is a beloved southern staple that has been passed down from generation to generation. This delicious casserole is made by layering cooked chicken, stuffing, and cream of chicken soup in a baking dish. The dish is then baked until the top is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly. One of the best things about this casserole is its versatility. It can be made with leftover chicken or turkey, and you can play around with the flavors by adding herbs, vegetables, or other ingredients. Chicken and dressing casserole is perfect for a cozy family dinner, a potluck party, or a holiday gathering. It’s a crowd-pleasing dish that’s easy to make and always satisfying.
Ingredients And Preparation
Chicken and dressing casserole is a perfect dish for family dinners or holiday gatherings. It is a comfort food that everyone loves, and it is super easy to make. The casserole combines the juicy flavor of chicken with the savory taste of dressing, creating a delightful meal that can please any palate.
In this section of the blog post, we will discuss the ingredients and preparation needed to cook chicken and dressing casserole to perfection.
List Of Ingredients
Here is a list of the ingredients you need to make a delicious chicken and dressing casserole:
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 oz.
- 10. 5 oz.
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 8 oz.
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Prepare The Casserole
To make chicken and dressing casserole, follow these easy steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cook the chicken in boiling water until it’s fully cooked, or use leftovers if you have them.
- Shred the chicken into small pieces and layer them in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and chicken broth. Mix well.
- In a pan, melt the butter and sauté the onions and celery.
- Add the stuffing mix to the pan and stir well.
- Pour the sour cream mixture over the chicken in the baking dish.
- Add the stuffing mixture on top of the sour cream mixture.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil from the dish and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Tips For Perfect Dressing
The dressing is the key component of the chicken and dressing casserole.
- Use boxed stuffing mix instead of fresh bread to avoid making the stuffing too wet.
- Sauté the onions and celery in butter to achieve a rich, savory flavor.
- Add extra chicken broth to the dressing if it seems too dry.
- Be sure to cover the dish with foil while baking to keep the dressing moist.
Chicken and dressing casserole is an easy but tasty dish that you can serve for any occasion. Follow these simple steps to make a delicious casserole that is sure to become a family favorite.
Variations And Modifications
Chicken and dressing casserole is a classic american dish that people love. It’s perfect for holiday dinners, potlucks, or any time you have a craving for comfort food. The dish consists of cooked chicken mixed with dressing, seasoned with a blend of herbs, and baked in the oven until golden brown.
While the traditional recipe for chicken and dressing casserole is already delicious on its own, there are different variations and modifications that you can try to make it even more special.
Different Types Of Dressing
The dressing is arguably the most important ingredient in making this casserole dish.
- Cornbread dressing: cornbread dressing is a southern classic. To make it, simply substitute the breadcrumbs in the recipe with cornbread made from scratch or bought from the store.
- Sourdough stuffing: sourdough adds a tangy flavor to the dish that pairs well with the other ingredients.
- Whole-wheat bread stuffing: if you’re looking for a healthier option, using whole wheat bread in your dressing is a great way to add more fiber to the recipe.
- Gluten-free stuffing: for those who follow a gluten-free diet, there are plenty of options available for gluten-free breadcrumbs or cornbread to use in the recipe.
Substitutions For Ingredients
If you’re missing an ingredient or want to switch things up, here are some substitutes to try:
- Vegetables: carrots, celery, mushrooms, and bell peppers are all great additions to this casserole. You can also swap the vegetables based on your taste and availability.
- Cream of chicken soup: if you’re looking for a dairy-free option, you can substitute the cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom soup or a can of coconut milk.
- Cheese: cheese is a great addition to the dish, but you can substitute it with non-dairy cheese or leave it out altogether if you’re following a dairy-free recipe.
If you’re a vegetarian but still want to enjoy the flavors of chicken and dressing casserole, here are some substitutes you can try:
- Mushrooms or tofu: replace the chicken with sliced mushrooms or cubed tofu. Both options absorb the flavors of the dish well and are a great source of protein.
- Chickpea stuffing or lentil stuffing: substitute chicken stuffing with chickpeas or lentils stuffing for a vegetarian alternative that tastes amazing. Both options are high in protein and fiber.
- Vegan cream soup: you can substitute a can of vegan cream soup for the cream of chicken soup. It adds a great creaminess and flavor to the recipe.
With these variations and modifications, you can give the classic chicken and dressing casserole recipe a twist that suits your taste and dietary requirements. Whether you choose to modify the dressing or use a vegetarian alternative, the end result will be a delicious and comforting casserole that you’ll love.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN & STUFFING CASSEROLE | EASY DINNER RECIPE | COOK WITH ME
Who doesn’t love a warm and comforting casserole on a chilly evening? Chicken and dressing casserole is a classic southern recipe that’s perfect for a family dinner or potluck with friends. This casserole is made with tender, shredded chicken, savory dressing, and a hearty dose of spices.
It’s no wonder that this dish is a crowd favorite. Here are some serving suggestions to elevate your chicken and dressing casserole game.
With any casserole dish, it’s crucial to serve it with sides that complement the dish.
- Green beans: blanched green beans seasoned with butter, garlic, and lemon juice add a lovely freshness to the casserole.
- Sweet potato casserole: a sweet and savory casserole made with mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar, and pecans is a perfect complement to the chicken and dressing casserole.
- Macaroni and cheese: creamy and cheesy macaroni and cheese is a classic southern side that works well with all kinds of casseroles.
When serving chicken and dressing casserole, it’s essential to have a variety of beverage options to choose from.
- Sweet tea: a cold glass of sweet tea is a southern staple that complements the spice and warmth of the casserole.
- Lemonade: a refreshing glass of lemonade balances the richness of the casserole.
- Beer: a crisp and cold beer pairs well with the spice and tang of the casserole.
The serving size of chicken and dressing casserole varies based on the occasion.
- Family dinner: a 9×13 inch casserole dish can serve 6-8 people.
- Potluck: double or triple the recipe to make a larger casserole dish or make multiple smaller dishes to serve a larger group.
- Leftovers: the casserole can be refrigerated and reheated for up to three days.
With these serving suggestions, you can elevate your chicken and dressing casserole game and impress your family and friends. Enjoy!
Chicken and dressing casserole is a popular american dish that is rich in protein, carbohydrates, and fiber. The nutritional value of this dish depends on the ingredients used and the portion size.
Here are the nutritional facts for a serving size of 1 cup (245 g) of chicken and dressing casserole:
- Calories: 291
- Total fat: 12.
- Saturated fat: 4.
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 809mg
- Total carbohydrates: 24.
- Dietary fiber: 2.
- Sugars: 2.
- Protein: 21.
Chicken and dressing casserole is not only delicious but also contains several health benefits.
- Rich in protein: chicken is a good source of high-quality protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues in the body.
- Provides carbohydrates: the dish contains carbohydrates from bread, which provides energy to the body and is essential for brain function.
- Contains vegetables: adding vegetables like celery and onion adds fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants to the dish, which are important for maintaining good health.
- Good fat: the dish contains healthy fat from the chicken, which is essential for the proper functioning of the brain and other organs in the body.
Possible Health Hazards
Though chicken and dressing casserole is a healthy meal option, there are some precautions to consider, especially for people with certain health conditions.
- High in sodium: the dish contains a high amount of sodium, which can lead to high blood pressure in people who are sensitive to it.
- High in cholesterol: chicken is high in cholesterol, so people with high levels of cholesterol should consume it in moderation.
- Food allergies: chicken and dressing casserole is not suitable for people with a chicken allergy.
- Gluten intolerance: the dish contains bread, which is not suitable for people with gluten intolerance.
Overall, chicken and dressing casserole is a healthy and delicious meal option, but it is essential to eat it in moderation and take precautions to avoid possible health hazards.
If you are looking for a dish that celebrates the traditional home-cooked flavors of the american south, chicken and dressing casserole is a perfect choice. This recipe combines shredded chicken with savory bread dressing and is baked to perfection. Here is a list of ingredients, a step-by-step guide, tips for dressing, and nutritional information to help you prepare a delicious chicken and dressing casserole.
List Of Ingredients
To prepare this mouthwatering dish, you will need:
- 4 cups of seasoned cornbread dressing mix
- 3 cups of shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of cream of celery soup
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Prepare The Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f.
- Combine the cornbread dressing mix, shredded chicken, soups, chicken broth, melted butter, chopped onion, eggs, salt, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix thoroughly until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until the casserole is firm in the center and golden brown on top.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Tips For Perfect Dressing
- Use dry cornbread mix in place of regular bread for a more authentic taste.
- Add diced celery to the mix for a crunchy texture.
- Add more chicken broth as needed to achieve a moist consistency.
- Refrigerate the casserole for a few hours after it’s baked to help it hold its shape.
This recipe yields about 8 servings, with each serving containing approximately:
- 490 calories
- 32g fat
- 30g carbohydrates
- 20g protein
Enjoy this classic southern-style chicken and dressing casserole with family and friends. With its unique blend of flavors, it’s sure to become a crowd favorite.
Frequently Asked Questions On Chicken And Dressing Casserole
With its delicious combination of tender chicken, savory dressing, and mouthwatering gravy, chicken and dressing casserole is the perfect comfort food for any occasion. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply looking for a tasty and easy-to-make meal, this dish is sure to please.
With its rich and satisfying flavor, chicken and dressing casserole is the perfect choice for those chilly fall and winter evenings when you want something warm and comforting to fill you up. So why not give this delicious casserole a try today?
With just a few simple ingredients and some basic kitchen skills, you can whip up a warm and hearty meal that your entire family will love. So don’t wait any longer – give chicken and dressing casserole a try and see for yourself why this classic dish is a favorite among so many!