Calico bean casserole is the ultimate dish using canned beans. This hearty and flavorful recipe is a must-try for any bean lover.
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make dish that will satisfy your cravings, calico bean casserole is the answer. Made with a variety of beans, ground beef, and bacon, this casserole is bursting with flavor. It’s perfect for a family dinner or a potluck party, and it will leave everyone asking for seconds. With the convenience of canned beans and the homemade taste of your favorite comfort food, this recipe is a winner. So go ahead and give it a try- you won’t regret it!
Ingredients You Will Need
If you’re looking to whip up a quick and tasty dish, this calico bean casserole recipe is definitely worth trying. One of the best things about it is that it requires only a handful of ingredients that you’re likely to already have on hand, especially canned beans.
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tsp.
- 1/2 tsp.
- Salt and pepper to taste
Types Of Canned Beans To Use
When it comes to making this casserole, there are a variety of canned beans that you can use. For the recipe, we’ve included kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, and navy beans. All of these beans are great options because they’re readily available, inexpensive, and packed with fiber and protein.
If you prefer another type of canned bean, feel free to use those instead. Chickpeas, cannellini beans, or lima beans would all work in this recipe, just be sure to drain and rinse them thoroughly before using.
Additional Ingredient Tips
To take this calico bean casserole recipe to the next level, consider adding some of these optional ingredients:
- Ground beef or turkey: if you’re looking to add some extra protein to the mix, try browning a pound of ground beef or turkey and cooking it in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Bacon: crumble up a few strips of bacon and sprinkle them over the top of the dish before you put it in the oven.
- Hot sauce: if you like a little bit of heat, try adding a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce to the mix.
- Worcestershire sauce: a small splash of worcestershire sauce can add a unique depth of flavor to the casserole.
Now that you have all the ingredients you need, it’s time to start cooking!
The Best Recipe For Calico Bean Casserole
Are you looking for an easy, budget-friendly meal that is also packed with flavor and nutrition? This calico bean casserole is the perfect solution for busy nights. Made with canned beans and a few extra ingredients, this dish is sure to become a family favorite.
Here is our detailed step-by-step guide for making the perfect calico bean casserole.
Detailed Step-By-Step Instructions For Making The Casserole
- Preheat your oven to 350°f (175°c).
- In a large skillet, cook 1lb (450g) of ground beef over medium-high heat until browned. Drain any excess grease.
- Add 1 diced onion and 2 minced garlic cloves to the skillet. Cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cans of drained and rinsed mixed beans, 1 can of drained kidney beans, and 1 can of diced tomatoes. Mix well.
- Season the mixture with 1 tsp of chili powder, 1 tsp of dried oregano, 1 tsp of smoked paprika, 1 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a large casserole dish.
- Top the mixture with 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before serving.
Discussion Of How Each Ingredient Contributes To The Overall Flavor And Texture
- Ground beef: this ingredient provides protein and a savory, meaty flavor to the casserole.
- Onion and garlic: these two ingredients add depth of flavor and aroma to the dish.
- Mixed beans and kidney beans: the combination of different beans brings variety to the dish, as well as fiber and plant-based protein.
- Diced tomatoes: this ingredient provides acidity and freshness to the casserole.
- Chili powder, dried oregano, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper: these spices add complexity and depth to the dish, as well as balancing the flavors.
- Shredded cheddar cheese: this ingredient adds creaminess, richness, and a nice browned texture to the top of the casserole.
There you have it, the best recipe for calico bean casserole. A delicious and simple meal that is perfect for any day of the week. Enjoy!
Calico Bean Bake
Variations Of The Recipe
Different Ways To Make The Calico Bean Casserole To Suit Your Tastes
Calico bean casserole is a versatile dish that can use different types of canned beans and spices for a unique and satisfying flavor.
- ### change up the beans
You can create different versions of the calico bean casserole by experimenting with different types of canned beans. For a heartier dish, swap out one of the beans for chickpeas, or add lima beans to boost the protein content.
- Use kidney beans for a richer flavor and texture
- Add black beans for a southwestern twist
- Swap navy or great northern beans for a milder taste
- Include pinto beans for a more authentic tex-mex flavor
Adding a variety of beans ensures that your casserole is visually appealing, too.
- ### add spices for more flavor
The beauty of the calico bean casserole is that it’s adaptable to any taste. For a spicier dish, try adding chili powder, cumin, or a dash of cayenne pepper. If you prefer a milder taste, you could add italian seasoning or a little bit of thyme.
- Garlic powder or fresh garlic for extra flavor
- Paprika for a smoky taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes for extra heat
- Bay leaves for a subtle, earthy flavor
Remember that a little goes a long way with seasonings. Add small amounts of spices initially, and taste test before adding more.
- ### customize with toppings
Just like any casserole, the calico bean casserole can be topped with various ingredients to add texture or flavor.
- Crunchy bread crumbs or fried onions for a crispy topping
- Shredded cheese, especially cheddar or monterey jack cheese, for extra flavor
- Sour cream or greek yogurt for a creamy tang
- Fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, or chives
Remember that toppings should be added after the casserole is cooked. You can place the casserole under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the topping.
These variations to the calico bean casserole will ensure that you never get bored with the dish. Play around with different combinations and make it your own.
Health Benefits Of Using Canned Beans In The Casserole
Adding canned beans to your calico bean casserole is not only a convenient option but also a smart choice that comes with many health benefits.
- High in fiber: canned beans are an excellent source of fiber. Just one cup of canned beans can provide up to 16 grams of fiber, which is almost half of the daily recommended intake. Fiber helps promote good digestion and keeps you feeling full for longer periods.
- Rich in essential nutrients: canned beans are packed with essential vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc, potassium, and folate. These nutrients promote healthy blood circulation, support immune function, and help maintain healthy bones.
- Low in fat and calories: unlike their dried counterparts, canned beans have a low-fat content and fewer calories. This makes them an ideal choice for people trying to maintain a healthy weight.
Additional Reasons For Using Canned Beans In Your Cooking
Using canned beans comes with even more advantages that you cannot afford to pass up.
- Convenience: canned beans are pre-cooked, which means that you can easily and quickly add them to your calico bean casserole without the hassle of cooking dried beans.
- Long shelf life: canned beans have a long shelf life, allowing you to stock up and store them in your pantry for future use. This makes them an essential ingredient for your emergency pantry supply kit.
- Cost-effective: canned beans are an affordable option, especially when compared to fresh produce. You can save a significant amount of money by stocking up on canned beans for your recipes.
- Variety: canned beans come in a variety of types such as black, garbanzo, kidney, and navy beans. This means that you can always switch up the recipe and try different types of beans to find your perfect combination.
Using canned beans in your calico bean casserole recipe not only adds flavor and texture but also comes with several health benefits that promote overall good health. Aside from the health benefits, using canned beans also gives you a convenient, cost-effective, and versatile ingredient for your pantry.
Frequently Asked Questions For This Calico Bean Casserole Is The Best Thing You Can Make With Canned Beans 2
1. What Are The Ingredients Needed To Make This Calico Bean Casserole?
This casserole recipe requires canned baked beans, kidney beans, great northern beans, ground beef, ketchup, mustard, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, onion, and bacon.
2. How Long Will It Take To Prepare And Cook This Casserole?
The preparation time for this recipe is about 20 minutes. After preheating the oven to 350°f, bake the casserole for 45 minutes.
3. Can I Prepare This Dish Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can assemble the casserole ahead of time, cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and refrigerate it until ready to bake. The cooking time may take a little longer if the casserole is cold.
4. Is This Recipe Suitable For A Vegetarian Diet?
This calico bean casserole recipe contains ground beef and bacon, making it non-vegetarian. However, you can easily adapt this recipe by substituting the meat with plant-based protein sources like tofu or tempeh.
5. Can I Freeze The Leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze any leftovers for later consumption. Cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. It should last in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bake at 350°f for 20-30 minutes.
Incorporating canned beans into your weekly meal plan has never been more tasteful with this calico bean casserole recipe. The combination of vegetables, savory spices, and tender beans will leave your palate satisfied and nourished. Not only is this recipe incredibly delicious, but it also packs a healthy punch.
With its high protein content and a variety of vitamins and minerals, canned beans are an excellent addition to any diet or lifestyle. And with the endless possibilities of seasoning and meal pairings, it’s easy to see why this popular pantry staple is a household favorite.
So the next time you’re in the mood for a hearty and healthy meal, give this calico bean casserole a try and enjoy the delicious benefits of canned beans.